Friday 23 December 2011

Innovation Challenge Week 6

Find patterns and create combinations

This week has been one of tidying up things before the festive season takes hold.  However, I have kept to my word and combined last week’s habit (writing things down) with looking for patterns and creating combinations.  I decided to revisit a creative thinking technique called Morphological analysis whereby you analyse an element of your problem into discrete components and then combine these different components to see if anything interesting jumps out at you.  You can find more creative thinking techniques from this website.


The focus of my analysis was to see if there were any new and interesting ways of engaging with our clients and potential clients that were not part of our existing strategy.  Whilst there isn’t anything novel that appears out of this analysis, it has provided me with some useful insights that may have other uses.  So a worthwhile exercise.

As with many creative thinking techniques, I find it is important to practice using them in ways that are helpful and not to just slavishly follow the instructions.  In fact something novel may occur just because you are not exactly following the instructions!

Next week which is the last challenge looks at the role of curiosity.  I look forward to reporting on how my curiosity has been tapped during the festive week.

Signing off from Level Seven and wishing all our readers Happy Holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment