Friday 25 November 2011

Innovation Challenge - Week 2

Developing the habits of highly innovative people

Remove Self Limiting Inhibitions

This week has presented a number of opportunities for me to reflect and do something about this habit.  I am sure I am not alone when I say that the idea of picking up the phone to make sales calls fills me with dread.  I find it much easier and safer to rely on email communication.  Of course, this is a self-limiting inhibition and it’s all to do with rejection. 

I decided this week I would grasp the nettle and instead of my usual approach to send emails, I actually picked up the phone and attempted to make contact with a few people by way of follow-up communications.   I enjoyed about 50% success rate in that I did actually get through to the person and had a productive conversation. 

So, why am I not able to feel comfortable about doing this every day and just do more of the same?  What I seemed able to do before making each call was to turn off my negative inner dialogue which was saying things like “they won’t want to talk to you”, “you’ll be interrupting them when they are busy and then they will be annoyed ....”  I replaced this negative inner dialogue with some positive dialogue along the lines, “you’ve met these people and they will want to talk to you even if it is not necessarily what you want to hear right now” and “if they answer their phone they will not be annoyed as they have a choice to answer or not”

By removing this self-limiting inhibition about rejection helped me to feel courageous and pick up the phone and this action actually paid off.   I spoke to a few people and have a better understanding of their situation and am able to amend my follow-up campaign with them more effectively. 


Of course, I could have received the same information via email but the opportunity to actually have a conversation with someone is much more pleasant and fulfilling.

As with the previous habit of persistence, employing a more positive mindset can be very helpful.

Next week’s focus is Habit No 3: ‘Take risks and make mistakes’.




No comments:

Post a Comment