Friday 8 June 2012


The Manila Diaries

Opportunity

8 June 2012

86 degrees Fahrenheit, Partly cloudy, Humidity 83%

This week has been one of opportunity.

This has caused me to reflect on - do we ‘take’ opportunities or do we ‘create’ opportunities?  I think we do a bit of both.  Taking an opportunity implies that something has been offered to us or created for us and we are the grateful recipient of something useful to us; creating an opportunity implies we have been purposeful or self-motivated to take action that might provide us or someone else with something gainful.  The former suggests we are passive and wait for opportunities to float by, the latter suggests we need to be proactive, take responsibility and be responsible for the consequences.

A friend one called me opportunistic but went to lengths to explain that she felt that was a good thing.  I had to agree, I have always been open to opportunities, both taking and creating, but I think the difference for me has been that it has been easier to pick up on something created by another and to use it to my advantage.

This week I created an opportunity that may be very beneficial not only to Level Seven’s presence here in Asia but also for me personally.  However, it is too soon to say whether the opportunity will yield the results I would hope for. 

On reflection of why it felt easy to take the action I did; these are my conclusions.  I felt I had nothing to lose, I was at a point that I needed to have a purpose for action for my self-worth and for the business and I felt confident that I had something to offer and I didn’t think too long about what I was doing (i.e. I did not analyse the situation for too long but acted on an evidence-based impulse).  Of course this situation and ultimate decision only concerns a few people; sometimes opportunistic action may affect a greater number of people and the consequences may be more far reaching but unless we have the courage to develop and act on a level of self-belief we may be in danger of missing out on all manner of things.

My challenge to you is to develop your opportunity spotting antennae and to be courageous and act on it when you believe it is right to do so.

Signing off for now

Our Correspondent in Manila


No comments:

Post a Comment